Proper Hut etiquette

Well, I can't believe I'm asking this question, but I haven't stumbled on the answer in all my research, so here goes... 1) It's cold & rainy; you've finally arrived at the hut. You and all your clothing are soaked. 2) Not a swank Hut like the Milford; assume a hut with no changing room... 3) Boots off on the porch, then you go inside, only to find a bunch of people already there. 4) Gotta get out of the wet cold clothing, which means a complete strip-down. 5) Don't want to do it horizontally, enclosed in your nice dry down bag... What's the polite solution? Striptease? Seriously though; I wouldn't want to cause an international incident, or scare a couple of pre-teens or little old ladies. So, what's the accepted procedure?
33 comments
31–33 of 33

bigpaul i agree 100% with you i turn 53 in 3 weeks and i dont care at all Lindsay
Me too. Modesty isn't a useful attribute but I try not to offend (sometimes). I don't think we should leave nudity to the pin-up girls so I don't duck in to the shower to get changed in our all-female change room at work like the other women do! I just do what I would if there was no one else there (as far as nudity goes). Tramping does tend to ground people and level them out a bit, doesn't it? And there's no way I'm going to get my gear wet so people can't see my butt! We arrived wet as shags at a hut recently and all I was wearing was my rain gear as an experiment. Frank took his rain gear off outside in the tiny porch and suggested I do the same to keep the hut dry but I explained I had nothing on underneath so I went inside and changed. The fellow there may have noticed and had to cope but he was a well-travelled, long in the tooth character... Frank has a story about arriving at a hut and knocking on the door. The poor lone woman just about had kittens because she was having a wash! Just as well he always knocks if the bolt's undone.
1 deleted post from LaptopTa
31–33 of 33

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by trtlrock
On 15 August 2009
Replies 32
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown