Travel help

Hi guys, Me and my fiancé are coming to New Zealand in September of this year. We wanted to do a walk while we were there. Something grand, with a big view , something with altitude. Something no longer than three days. Considering the time of year and the weather just wondered if anyone could give some suggestions? Thanks in advance.
19 comments
11–19 of 19

thanks for the reply's guys. We are actually traveling from north to south in the 3 weeks we are going to be in the country. So anywhere in all of new zealand really. the walk cant be too difficult as my fiance is a bit of a novice. I was looking at Mt Somers, has anyone done that in september?
http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/canterbury/Raukapuka/mt-somers-track.pdf In september it might be completely snow free or it might be snow to the carpark. Keep an eye on the nearby Mount Hutt skifield snow reports for a rough idea. Mount hutt is only 400 metres higher so they wont be happy if Mount Somers is snow free that early in the season
Another idea: Liverpool Hut in Matukituki Valley might be interesting. Views straight across to Mt Aspiring, and I don't think there's avalanche exposure (?). I haven't been there, but I've been to French Ridge across the valley. I would think it's three days, e.g. Aspiring Hut first night, Liverpool second night, and then out.
In september you will need ice axe and crampons to access Liverpool hut, hardly suitable for a novice
a few years , someone fell to their death when he slipped on ice on the climb to liverpool hut... he was wearing running shoes... ironically he was carrying alpine climbing boots and crampons...
Haven't been there but remember reading that you must not cut across to the hut when you see it. Have to go up and around. People cutting across are the ones who have died - it would be so tempting at the end of the climb up.
Most places with grand views are going to be too weather dependant for recommendations this far away from September. You can be glad Damon's made sensible comments. An impressive 3 day trip which will give you a great sense of wilderness is on Stewart island. Take a waste taxi to fresh water hut then walk out to masons bay. Spend a day exploring then return via the same route. No concerns for snow, a short yet dramatic trip for your novice which should get them well enthused. Just take clothing that can keep you warm if a westerly gale kicks in.
Waste should read water...
1 deleted post from Honora
And be prepared for some mud. Great suggestion, though. Also at Mason Bay, there are some good day trips e.g. climbing the Big Sandhill, then going across from there to Martins Creek to have a look at the new hut and the lily pond. You might see a deer there if you're lucky, we did and saw a white heron, snacking on blow flies attracted to the cheesecloth covering a deer carcass. Also you can go to the Hunters' Hut nearby, then follow the fenceline and over Sandhill Pass down to the beach to see the NZ dotterills etc. For the more energetic, there's the day trip down to the gutter and Kilbride Homestead. There's Cavalier Hut to call into as well. On a visit there kind hunters gave us backsteaks along with a cup of tea.
11–19 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by Lewis1222
On 23 April 2014
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown