be prepared

seems a lot of overseas people heading to the new zealand outdoors in summer expect... well summery weather. they head off on hikes with gear only suitable for hot conditions. problem is, new zealand weather isnt entirely like that in summer. it's more likely to be warm than cold but cold wet weather even freezing wet weather can blow through at any time of year.. people die of hypothermia here in the summer sometimes. check the forecasts before you head outdoors metservice.com the weather can often change fast. southerly parts of new zealnd can get snow at any time of the year, there has just been a reasonable dump. the forecast isnt always right, sometimes its badly wrong, always pack wet weather gear and some warm clothing. i've seen a lot of people doing overnight trips with very thin sleeping bags, no spare warm clothes if they get wet. even no wet weather gear.... softshels and down jackets arent waterproof.... its often windy in summer, umbrellas often arent good enough. if it rains there's a good chance it will make you cold, avoid wearing cotton. brochure pictures dont tell the full story, fiordland is the wettest place in the world at sealevel. the rest of westland isnt far behind,, the rain doesnt stop for summer..... when it does rain in summer it can rain more than in winter.... juste because the lord of the ring charactars are fictitious doenst mean you are free from risk of getting maimed in New zealand. that innocent creek bed you want to follow that is either dry or has little water in it can quickly turn into a whitewater kayakers dream in heavy rain. if you are patient it can quickly revert back to that peaceful stream after the rain stops... our tracks can be rough, open toed footwear can end up with stubbed and or cold toes.... I dont care how far you can walk in your own country on a good track, a lot of our tracks can be rough to extremely rough and slow going, don't expect to cover 30 plus kilometres a day on all the tracks you see here.... it might look like a small island compared to whre you come from but people still get lost here. the temperature extremes might not be as big as where you are from but people still suffer from heat stroke and die from hypothermia and can suffer frostbite here. the mountains may not be among the highest in the world but they can still be very steep and dangerous in places. mount cook national park doe look nice, but that hasnt stopped 200 people dying there.... and numerous more getting injured there. get advise on track conditions, what may be a straightforward walk in good weather can become dangerous in bad weather.. tussock might look great to hang onto when you're climbing a slope, but if its wet and you're on a steep slope it's perfect for sliding downhill at high speed until some large probably hard object stops your decent rapidly.
28 comments
11–20 of 28

Here here... it's got nothing to do with nationality. It's too easy to generalise like that.
The best argument I know of (for charging for tourists but not locals) is the taxpaying one, but I don't think it adds up. There's a second argument that tourists cause a major expense in the SAR budget compared with locals, but I don't think that adds up either. Charging generally for everyone is something else again, but it's still a bad idea.
DOC did investigate the idea of having differential charging for tourists as opposed to locals but the legal opinion is that it would have been a breach of the Bill of Rights.
1 deleted post from izogi
pmcke, do you know when this was? And in DoC's case was it referring to SAR ops, or to things like hut charges?
Trying to remember. It was about 5 years ago, it was at a meeting and there was a senior manager from DOC there. He explained that they had had this legal opinion. I think it might have been an FMC AGM or similar. It was in the context of hut fees rather than SAR. SAR is a Police responsibility anyway.
There would likely be varied opinion as to who is a tourist and who is a capable tramper. It can't be determined by where you come from originally.
And who would be the judge in such a situation.......?
I can't find the reference to the Bill of Rights and hut ticketing, but it was probably about S19. S19 guarantees freedom from discrimination according to the grounds of discrimination in the Human Rights Act. http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1990/0109/latest/whole.html#DLM225519 The Human Rights Act S21(1)(g) then prohibits discrimination on ethnic or national origins, which explicitly includes nationality or citizenship. http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0082/latest/DLM304475.html#DLM304475 In practice it doesn't outright prevent the NZ Parliament from passing laws that contradict the Bill of Rights Act, but it'd open them to a legal challenge, maybe only from someone with enough money. The Attorney General is required to report to parliament when an inconsistency is perceived, which can duly ignore the advice, and this has happened at least once or twice within the past year, I think.
>>The Human Rights Act S21(1)(g) then prohibits discrimination on ethnic or national origins, which explicitly includes nationality or citizenship. How do hospitals get around charging patients who come from overseas countries (excluding injuries which are covered by ACC?). If they are from a country without a reciprocal agreement they get charged for everything. For a NZer it is free.
It isn't free for NZers. We pay tax. I was thinking about this yesterday while I was visiting Rotorua Museum which is free for Rotorua residents but everyone else pays. I guess that isn't a nationality thing, it's because locals pay rates, either directly or indirectly.
11–20 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Visiting New Zealand
Started by waynowski
On 21 January 2012
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown