Track • 4 – 6 days. Medium. One way.
A spectacular coastal walk in the Waitakere Ranges west of Auckland. ALOT OF THIS TRAIL IS CLOSED FOR KAURI DIE BACK PREVENTION. CHECK DOC TO SEE WHICH SECTIONS ARE STILL OPEN
Huia loop walk - Waitakere Ranges
Track • 0 – 1 day. Easy/medium. Loop track.
Ok this is another goodie, 3-4 hours walk in young kauri forest with a view of the Manukau Harbour mouth and a great waterfall on the way - take your togs! A good introduction to tramping for your ...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.