Middle Crossing of the Tararua's
Track • 3 – 5 days. Medium. One way.
Climbing through beach Forest, Open tops, steep Descents followed by steep climbs, river valleys, great huts. An alpine experience with all the thrills good and bad weather can provide.
Mid Waiohine Hut
Track • 2 days. Medium. Return via same track.
Steep climb on well maintained track to Mt Holdsworth (1470m) then a steeper descent into the Waiohine Valley. Return via same track.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.