Te Araroa Trail
Track • 95 days. Medium. One way.
Te Araroa is a walking trail running the entire length of the North and South Islands. The trail opened 3 December 2011.
Sabine-Waiau Pass-Thompson Pass-D'Urville
Track • 5 – 7 days. Easy/medium. Loop track.
5 day trip accessed by kayak up Lake Rotoroa. Easy bush travel up and down Sabine and D'Urville valleys respectively. Sub-alpine tramp over 2 passes to connect the two valleys with section of unmar...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.