Big River - Inangahua Track
Track • 2 – 3 days. Medium. Loop with brief road section.
Faded gold miners' trails into the remains of the Big River gold town, past old stamper batteries, rails, mines and buildings.
Track • Easy. Return via road or riverbed.
Short loop following the remains of the Progress water race along the Inangahua river to Deep Creek, returning via the riverbed or the road.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.