A Waioeka - Urewera crossing: Redpaths Road to SH38
Track • 4 – 7 days. Medium. One way.
Continuing my traverse of the North Island's Main Range, this trip crosses the Waioeka Conservation and (former) Urewera National Park, shadowing the main divide between SH2 and SH38. This trip ...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.