Track • 2 – 3 days. Easy. One way.
Promoted as a mountain bike track, this is also a popular tramping track. The track is very new, well graded, easy and suitable for trampers of all ages in virtually any weather.
Roger's hut to Pakiaka hut
Track • 1 – 2 days. Medium/hard.
Whirinaki to Urewera down Te Wairoa stream..unmarked the river is the way. Upper reach campsite Ngutukaka stream on true right. Succession of gorges with crucial point around 400 metres above confl...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.