Sabine Valley - Blue Lake - D'Urville Valley
Track • 4 – 5 days. Medium. Circuit.
A circuit along neighbouring valleys at the hear of Lake Rotoroa, passing the picturesque Blue Lake, and crossing Moss Pass. Moss Pass is most easily crossed from east to west. Walking time can be ...
Track • 2 – 4 days. Easy/medium. Return via same track.
Blue Lake is a small, pretty lake dammed by boulders at the head of the Sabine Valley. Beyond is Lake Constance and Waiau Pass. This track is avalanche-prone in winter and spring after snowfall or ...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.