Toaroaha Saddle-Frew Saddle Circuit
Track • 4 – 6 days. Medium. One way.
A great tramp in a remote location, crosses two alpine saddles, ice-axes and crampons needed in winter. More information on the DOC website.
Track • 5 – 7 days. Medium/hard. One way.
This route follows the famous journey by John Henry Whitcombe and the Swiss guide Jakob Lauper across the Main Divide in 1863. Whitcombe and Lauper were not the first across the pass: it was alread...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.