Waipakihi Thunderbolt Loop
Track • 3 days. Medium. Loop track with a road section.
A 3 day trip in the Kaimanawas following the Middle Range and enjoyable tops tramping. Also a probable night camping on the tops
Urchin - Waipakihi Hut - Umukarikari Trip
Track • 2 – 3 days. Easy/medium. Loop track with a road section.
A classic 2 - 3 day trip in the Kaimanawas. Includes open tops, river travel and a comfy hut for the night
Waipakihi Hut to Middle Range
Track • Medium. One way.
DOC have re cut an old track that gives access to the Middle Range from Waipakihi Hut. The usual route via Junction Top crosses private land and requires a permit. Going by this route avoids the Pr...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.