Wilkin Valley Track
Track • 2 – 5 days. Easy/medium. Return by the same track.
This stunning track is commonly tramped in conjunction with the Gillespie Pass Circuit or with the Rabbit Pass/East Matukituki traverse, but makes a great long weekend trip all by itself. The Wilki...
Rabbit Pass - Wilkin to East Matukituki
Track • 1 day. Hard. One way.
A fair weather route linking the upper Wilkin valley to the head of the East Matukituki. Two dangerous climbs are required, one to access the pass via the Wilkin Waterfall Face, and one to descend ...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.