St James Walkway
Track • 5 days. Easy/medium. One way.
A long and easy walk on St James Station near Lewis Pass. Beech forest, mountain scenery, farmland, wild horses, mud.
Foleys Creek Track - Travers Peak
Track • 1 day. Medium. Return via same track.
A poled route to the summit of Travers Peak near Lewis Pass
Rolleston Pack Track
Track • Easy. One way.
An old pack track near Lewis Pass. This is a pleasant forest walk, and an alternative to walking along the road between Deer Valley Camping Area and the St James car park.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.