Track • 4 – 6 days. Easy. One way.
A classic crossing of the geologically and biologically diverse northwest corner of the South Island. The track is also open to mountain bikes May to September.
Track • 1 – 2 days. Easy. Return via same track.
An easy overnighter along the palm-fringed coastline of the Heaphy Track.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.