A Whirinaki crossing - Waikaremoana Road Summit to Rangitaiki Tavern
Track • 6 – 10 days. Medium. One way.
Majestic podocarp forest - straight-turnked trees, reaching for the sky, bearded in epiphytes, the forest floor below covered in a lush understory of green fern. The constant melody of birdsong. ...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.