South Temple Hut
Track • 1 – 2 days. Easy/medium. Return by the same track.
Beech forest walk at the head of Lake Ohau. This Track is best done as an overnight walk with a stay in the hut. It is about 3 and half hours from carpark to hut and crosses 2 rivers so prior exper...
Temple Valleys Circuit
Track • 2 – 3 days. Medium. Loop track.
Tramping the North and South Temple Valleys connecting the two over Gunsight Pass.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.