Tutuko & Madeline
Rockburn - Lake Nerine - North Routeburn
Track • 3 – 5 days. Medium. Loop track.
A slightly shorter option to the 5 passes trip but of similar if not more difficulty. Can be done in 3 days but I would recommend longer to allow for possible bad weather or just to make it a bit m...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.