Lake Wilson and the Valley of the Trolls
Track • 2 – 3 days. Medium. Return by the same track.
An overnight or multiday scenic diversion from the Routeburn Great Walk. The Valley of the Trolls is easily accessed from Harris Saddle and provides overnight camping for those wanting to get away ...
Track • 2 – 3 days. Easy. One way.
A famous, easy track along red tussock river flats.
Track • Easy. Return via same track.
Short, easy walk at the start of the Routeburn Track to a low summit. Panoramic views of the Greenstone, Hollyford, and Eglinton Valleys, and the snowy Darran, Ailsa, and Livingstone Ranges.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.