Wooded Gully - Pinchgut Hut
Track • 2 days. Medium. Return via same track.
An overnight trip near Mount Thomas following unmarked trails to a comfortable hut.
Track • Easy/medium. Loop track.
Located at the edge of the Canterbury Plains, Mount Thomas is a good day trip from Christchurch with views of the Puketeraki Range inland, and the Pacific Ocean and Banks Peninsula to the east. Alo...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.