Route Guide: Otira to Mt Cook Village (pt 2)
Track • 12 – 21 days. Hard. One way.
One possible route down the main divide from Otira on the Arthur's Pass road to Mt Cook Village. Otira Hotel to the Mountaineer's Bar - file this one under 'tramps starting and ending at a pub'.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.