Te Ara Pātaka
Track • 2 – 3 days. Easy/medium. One way.
This track between Gebbies Pass and Hilltop was once surveyed as part of the Banks Peninsula Summit Road, although never constructed. Farm and tussocklands, expansive views, and remnant tōtara forest.
Track • Easy. Return via same track.
An easy walk through native bush and open spaces with great views over Banks Peninsula
Montgomery Park Scenic Reserve
Track • Easy/medium. Return via same track.
A rich pocket of remnant forest beneath a rocky escarpment on Banks Peninsula.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.