Round the Mountain: Taranaki
Track • 4 – 5 days. Easy/medium. Loop track.
A popular bush and alpine circuit of Taranaki / Mt Egmont, the famous volcanic cone that dominates views around New Plymouth.
Mt Taranaki Summit (Summer)
Track • 1 day. Hard. Nth Egmont Visitor Centre.
Alpine ascent to summit of Mt Taranaki / Egmont.
Track • 1 day. Medium. Return via same track.
Nice hike - not too strenuous. Be aware of rapidly changing weather conditions.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.