Edwards River, Lake Guyon, Fowler Pass circuit
Track • 3 days. Easy/medium. Loop track with a road section.
This circuit explores the southern portion of the St James Cycle Trail, explores the historic farm country around Lake Guyon and Stanley Vale, and skipping back to Tophouse Road over the rougher te...
Section: Edwards River - McArthur Track
Track • 2 days. Easy/medium. One way.
The southernmost section of the St James Cycle Trail, between Tophouse Road and the Lake Guyon junction on the Waiau Uwha River.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.