Mount Somers Track
Track • 2 days. Easy/medium. One way.
Leading around the back of Mount Somers, an ancient volcano, this track explores a fascinating landscape with handsome grasslands and sweeping views.
Track • 1 day. Medium. Return by the same track.
A volcanic summit (1364m) in the Clent Hills with sweeping views across the Ashburton Lakes basin.
Mount Somers summit (from Woolshed Creek)
Track • 2 days. Easy/medium. Return by the same track.
A gentle climb over untracked tussock land to this easy summit.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.