Crossing Maling Pass
Maling Pass, Lake Guyon, Fowler Pass circuit
Track • 2 days. Easy/medium. Loop track with a road section.
This circuit is a double-crossing of the St James Range, dropping into the deep Waiau Uwha Valley. The first day's walk is part of the St James Cycle Trail and is easier, smoother walking than the ...
Section: Maling Pass - Moki Track
Track • 1 day. Easy/medium. One way.
The northernmost section of the St James Cycle Trail, between Lake Tennyson and the Lake Guyon junction on the Waiau Uwha River.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.