Central Whirinaki - Mangamate Loop
Track • 2 – 3 days. Easy/medium. Loop track.
A popular lowland circuit in Whirinaki Forest Park featuring tall podocarp forest and blue ducks.
Central Whirinaki Hut
Track • 2 days. Easy. Return via same track.
This popular overnight alternative on the Whirinaki Track follows a very smooth path with views of the Whirinaki River, blue ducks, Whirinaki Falls, and beautiful podocarp forest.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.