Southern Crossing of the Tararuas
Track • 3 – 4 days. Medium. One way.
A classic, must-do walk that climbs through bush onto exposed, high tussock tops, traversing them back into bush at Alpha Hut.
Tararua Middle loop
Track • 3 – 5 days. Medium. Loop track.
A 4-5 day loop from Otaki Forks following the main ridge of the Tararuas
Track • 1 – 2 days. Medium. Loop track.
A smaller peak (1102m) in the Tararua Ranges.
A Total Tararua Traverse
Track • 8 – 16 days. Medium. One way.
The length of the Tararuas via the pointy bits, from the Manawatu Gorge at Woodville to the Rimutaka Hill Road summit. A true watershed traverse would head from Punga Hut over Ngawhakarara to t...
Northern Tararua Tracks
Track • 1 day. Medium. Loop track.
A number of little known tracks and routes in the northern Tararuas in the area between North Mangahao Biv - Punga Hut and the South Range Road.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.