Track • 1 – 2 days. Medium. Return by the same track.
A brief climb up to Carroll Hut on the tops at the northern edge of Arthur's Pass National Park. Magnificent 360° views.
Goat Creek track to Mt Barron
Track • 0 – 1 day. Hard. Loop track with a road section.
Overgrown and line is destroyed by recent slips.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.