Track • 2 days. Easy. Return by the same track.
A beautiful, easy tramp for beginners. The valley had many grassy flats so there are wonderful views all the way. Many side trips can be done and the valley leads on to further explorations in Kahu...
Mt Gibbs circuit from Fenella hut
Track • Medium. Loop track.
A nice day trip from Fenella hut up onto the tops. Can be incorporated into the walk out back to the car at the head of the Cobb reservoir.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.