Holdsworth - Jumbo Circuit
Track • 2 – 3 days. Medium. Loop track.
A good introduction to travelling across the tussock-covered tops of the Tararua Ranges, crossing the lofty Mt. Holdsworth on your way between Powell and Jumbo Huts.
Northern Crossing of the Tararuas
Track • 3 – 4 days. Medium. One way.
River walking, climbing through beech forest and travelling over tussock tops in the north of the Tararua Range.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.