Tararua main ridge
Track • 4 – 8 days. Medium. One way.
The length of the tracked Tararuas along the main ridge from Mangahao (behind Shannon) to Kaitoke. For a 'Total Tararua Traverse from Woodville to the Rimutaka Hill Rd summit, see the separate a...
Arete Sidle track
Track • Medium/hard. Return by the same track.
Track between Cow Creek Hut and Arete Forks hut in the Upper Waingawa valley in Tararua Forest Park.
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.