Urutawa Crossing: Motu Road to Waioeka Gorge
Track • 2 – 4 days. Medium. One way.
A north-east - south-west crossing of the Urutawa conservation area from Toatoa on the Motu Road to SH2 in the Waioeka valley. A 2-4 day trip through some little-tramped country. Not much in th...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.