Taumaoteawhengaiao ridgeline - and the view towards Te Araroa
Raukumara East-West Traverse
Track • 5 – 12 days. Hard. One way.
An east-west traverse of either the Raukumara range, or the entire East Cape. A minimum of 5-8 days in it's shortest version (of which two are half days), but 9+ days for a complete traverse. T...
- Unusually smooth, well-marked track, easy gradients. Up to about 4 hours per day.
- Typical lowland track. Generally easy walking and well marked. Ascents of up to 1000m. Some easy river crossings, unmarked travel along rivers.
- Typical tops track. Experienced trampers only. Rough, muddy and poorly marked or unmarked. Ascents of up to 2000m. River crossings, open tops, passes. Up to about 8 hours per day.
- Navigation and snow skills (use of ice axe and crampons) required. Glaciers, exposure to falls.
- Rough or non-existent tracks. Following ridges, bush spurs, and rivers. Steep ascents, arduous travel, hazardous conditions, snow and navigation skills essential.