Places to stay
Martins Bay Hut
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 20.
Martins Bay Hut is a large modern hut in an amazing location overlooking the sandbar between Lake McKerrow and the sea. Whilst modern, the extensive use of timber makes this attractive hut that wil...
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 12.
A new hut on a terrace above lake McKerrow on the Hollyford Track. Hokuri marks the coastward end of the infamous Demon Trail: such named as the track leaves the valley floor between Demon T...
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 6.
Olivine (6 bunk, stove, firewood available) is an old forestry style hut on the banks of the Pyke River. If you've just arrived from Alabaster you've probably spent the day a) wading the lake ...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.