Places to stay
Mid Taipo hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 6.
An ex NZFS hut that was built in 1973. In the 70's it was known as "New Mid Taipo" because there was another hut across the river and slightly upstream. The "Old Hut" has been removed. Mid T...
Newton Creek Hut
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 4.
Newton Creek Hut (4 bunk, mattresses, stove, firewood, water) is a pleasant forestry hut beside Newton creek. It's drier and warmer than the swampy Dunns Creek location over the saddle, and is a v...
Mid Styx Hut
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (NA). Capacity: 4.
4 person ex-NZFS hut with open fireplace on north facing terrace high above the Styx River. Renovated extensively and maintained by community agreement negotiated with DoC by Permolat individuals. ...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.