Places to stay
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 13.
A tidy popular hut. Great views. Good camping on the tops about 40 minutes further along track.
Iron Gate Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 8.
Iron Gate Hut (sleeps 8, stove, stream water) sits on the beech-forested banks of the Oroua River. It's a comfortable hut, with two sleeping platforms, a large table, benches and all you'd expect. ...
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 6.
6 bunk hut in the Oroua river catchment. On a raised terrace above the river. Water from the river, pot belly stove faces the setting sun.
Alice Nash Memorial Heritage Lodge
Hut • Standard Hut (NZDA). Capacity: 8.
Heritage lodge (sleeps 8, tank water, wood stove) is a modern (2007) tramping hut in the Ruahine Ranges. It was built by the NZDA with money from the family of Alice Nash - hence the name. Th...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.