Places to stay
Poor Pete's Hut
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 2.
A new biv replaced the old orange shack in February 2012. The hut features a conservatory-style foyer with a transparent roof and walls. There is a clear spot for camping on the rise just behind th...
Lake Matiri Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 8.
A tidy little hut nestled in forest, with views across Lake Matiri, and a picnic table where you can admire them. River flats just north of the hut could be suitable for camping, although the sandf...
Larrikin Creek Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 4.
A tidy hut located in forest margin at the foot of the Haystack, a small peak with striking mudstone banding. Ample camping space around the hut. This hut is well situated for climbing the Needle a...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.