Places to stay
Edwards River-Hawdon River
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 20.
A new hut opened in December 2007 after the previous hut was destroyed by fire June 2005. An easy two to three hour walk up river flat with a couple of straight forward crossings. This is...
Campsite • Informal campsite (DOC). 10 spaces.
A grassy clearing in the forest next to the highway, with a stone shelter. This campsite is located near the start of routes up the Mingha and Edwards Rivers. A short loop walk here follows the Old...
Hawdon Shelter campsite
Campsite • Informal campsite (DOC). 20 spaces.
Broad golden grass flats on the banks of the Hawdon River. Kea overhead and ample space to avoid the crowds. Sandflies are a feature. From here, routes lead up the Hawdon Valley or onto Woolshed Hill.
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
In general, food and cooking equipment is not available at huts. See DOC and NZAC websites for details of pricing and booking.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.