Places to stay
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC).
A welcome spot going either way around the Ruapehu Circut, this hut is located at about the only shelted spot on the eastern side of the mountain. In the middle of the Rangipo Desert the landsca...
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 20.
This hut is slightly off the Around Mt Ruapehu Track on a dead end track so is often bi passed.
Hut • Great Walks Hut (DOC). Capacity: 28.
The best hut on the Tongariro Northern Crossing. New flush! toilets. Three sleeping areas: one cosy room next to the porch, a room off the central area which also has sleeping platforms. A Great Wa...
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 8.
Hut on the walk from Turoa Road to Lake Surprise, about 1.5 hours in.
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC).
On the around Mt Ruapehu Track this hut provides a welcome stop after the long day through the Rangipo desert from Rangipo Hut
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 18.
18 Bunk hut 2.5hrs from Whakapapa Village
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.