Places to stay
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 26.Bookings required.
A new hut located at a mill site in the Kaimai-Mamaku Forest park. There are a number of short walks around the hut, making it an ideal family destination, and a hub for other trips within the park...
Daly's Clearing Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 16.
A 16 bunk standard DOC hut with 2 bunk rooms, kitchen area with indoor running water, and large deck. Outside there is a large grassy camping space and a good long drop toilet. The hut has had some...
Mangakino Shelter, Kaimais
Hut • Shelter (DOC).
A roof only shelter on the Mangakino Track on the old North - South Kaimai Track. The area is about 60 metres from the stream that is also the sole water source. There is plenty of firewood, but on...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.