Places to stay
Tarn Ridge Hut
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 16.
This modern hut (1995?) replaces the smaller hut at the north end of Tarn Ridge and may replace Dorset Ridge Hut. Tank water. 8 mattresses and 4 sleeping platforms. Potbelly stove but no wood or co...
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 26.
A neat and tidy hut. New hut has a water supply. Handy for a head start on a Friday night. Rebuilt in 2009, new hut almost identical in design to Roaring Stag Lodge. Fully insulated and double glaz...
Hut • Serviced Hut (DOC). Capacity: 20.Bookings required.
This lodge needs to be booked with the caretaker at the house near the carpark. Usually open during the day. Water heater for hot drinks! This hut must be booked in advance with DOC.
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 18.
A big L-shaped hut with 2 big sleeping platforms (18 mattresses) in one arm and the living area in the other. Indoor water and sink. One cooking bench and a new stainless steal table. Standard DOC ...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.