Places to stay
Hut • Standard Hut (DOC). Capacity: 6.
Oronui Hut. A standard 6-bunk hut in the eastern Raukumara Forest Park. 6 bunks, woodburner, tank water. The hut is up on a terrace some 30m above the river, opposite the confluence. The start...
Hut • Basic Hut/Bivvy (DOC). Capacity: 6.
A tidy 6-bunk hut on a high terrace above the Motu - Mangakirikiri confluence. The hut has tank water and an open fire. The hut is accessed by a short, steep track which climbs the south side o...
Te Kumi Flat tent camp
Hut • Shelter (NA). Capacity: 8.
A tent camp on Te Kumi Flat in the Raukokore River int he Raukumara Range. This is a privately built camp, but built on DOC land. It's by far the best built tent camp I've seen, and is worth a ...
Campsite • Informal campsite (DOC).
A basic DOC campground 12km west of the Motu Road, and the junctions of the 4WD Otipi Road and Takaputahi Road, on the banks of the Takaputahi River. The campsite has a toilet, and water from the r...
- Great Walks Hut
- Well appointed DOC hut on one of the nine Great Walks. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Facilities typically include toilets, heating, water, and bunks with mattresses. Some huts will have lighting, gas cooking, and a DOC ranger.
- Serviced Hut
- Larger, high standard hut. Many serviced huts have a booking system and must be booked in advance. Other huts require a back country hut pass or 3 hut tickets. Mostly owned by DOC. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Serviced Alpine Hut
- Alpine hut owned by DOC or clubs such as NZAC. Generally no heating. Payment varies. Facilities typically include a toilet, water supply, and bunks with mattresses.
- Standard Hut
- Typical DOC hut. Back country hut pass / 1 hut ticket required, no bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet, open fire or wood burner, and bunks with mattresses.
- Basic Hut/Bivvy
- Small DOC huts of 2-6 bunks. No fees or bookings. Facilities typically include a toilet and bunks with mattresses.
- Great Walks Campsite
- Campsites are available on most Great Walks, usually next to huts. Great Walks pass required, bookings may be required. Toilets, water supply. No use of hut facilities not available.
- Serviced, Scenic, or Standard Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, and offering a range of facilities.
- Basic Campsite
- Accessible by car or boat, but with minimal facilities. No fees or bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.
- Backcountry Campsite
- Walk-in access. Fees vary. No bookings. Toilet, water may be from stream.