Kaweka Forest Park access – what you need to know
- Comet Road is open to 4WD vehicles only due to loose metal.
- Kaweka Road is open to 4WD vehicles only. Some large potholes are present. Drive with care to maintain the road structure.
- Lotkow Road is open to 4WD vehicles only. The river crossings are regularly changing, check them before crossing, drive with caution.
- Lakes carpark is accessible via Kuripapango road. The previous access Castle Rock road is now closed due to ongoing forestry operations.
- Lawrence Carpark access road is currently closed from the Blowhard Bush forestry gate. Forestry operations and road repairs are currently occurring which are expected to take approximately three months starting in December 2023.
The Lawrence swing bridge has been damaged and is closed for use.
First published on 10 March 2023. Last reviewed on 18 October 2023.
- Mackintosh carpark is currently closed due to ongoing forestry operations. A new parking location can be located at a skid site near the closed gate (end of Kuripapango road), this will add on 500m walking to reach the start of the track.
- Makahu Road Apply extra caution to the river ford crossing as conditions have changed since Cyclone Gabrielle. River levels are subject to change so check for closures on Hastings District Council's roadworks updates. We recommend 4WD vehicles with good ground clearance. Due to the narrow and windy nature of the gravel road, drive with extra caution.
- Whittle road. Be aware of trucks using the quarry. Give them right of way where possible.