The First Time, no not that, Tramping.

That very first Tramp! How old were you? What instigated it? Where did you go? What influence did it have on you? Where I was concerned it was 1964, and I was just a few weeks shy of turning 17. Hadn’t long been at work as an apprentice. A friend of mine that my parents had taken in as a boarder suggested that easter would be a great time to go for a tramp into the tararuas. He had already mentioned a little of previous tramping trips and I was more that interested to see what it was all about. Me? No experience what so ever, his? I wasn’t all that sure. In the end after cobbling some gear together and 5 other likely sorts, 2 of whom had cars, well sort of we were ready to go on easter Friday. We arrived at the end of Upper Plains road out of Masterton around 10 am Good Friday, I can only imagine what any one looking on would have made of this unlikely looking raucous crew. Struggling with overweight ill fitting packs and not looking at all like we had any idea of what we were doing. I for one had no idea as to how long this walk would take, but looking at the map we had it did not appear to be far. Following the track across the farmland we passed old Bert Barras hut just before the drop down to the river and the commencement of the track proper, this being the Barra Track as pioneered by Bert himself. I obviously didn’t know him at the time but got to know him in due course. His dogs certainly kicked up a racket as we passed. And so the adventure began. I later learn’t that most Trampers on the day covered this track in approx 2.5 - 3.5 hours. We 5 loons finally staggered into the Mitre Flats hut of the time after being on the move for 7.5 hours. If we had had to travel another 100 metres I doubt any of us would have made it. Mitre Flats hut at the time was a tin shack, with 2 small windows, on facing vaguely towards and up the river, the other facing scrub and bush on a bank. It was supposedly capable of sleeping 12 along the rear of the hut on a wooden bench type arrangement. Did we have anything to sleep on apart from our sleeping bags? No! But then this seemed to be the norm because neither did anyone else that arrived whilst we were there with the exception of one person who had humped a blow up lilo in with them. On exiting the hut door if you bore right you carried on around the end of the bank and arrived at the toilet in amongst the trees. The door of which was missing. Going by some of the firewood lying about I suspect I knew where it went. Right alongside was a big rubbish pit that actually smelt worse than the toilet, if that was possible. It was also not a great place to visit in the dead of night. There were any number of other visitors to the dump seeking any tasty morsel that might be in the offering. Saturday was recovery day. I doubt any of us could have moved far even if a forest fire had descended on us. The other aspect was we had way too much food, thus it was a day of eat as much as possible so we didn’t have to carry it back out. I don’t think we moved any further than a couple of hundred metres from the hut, and then it was simply for a quick clean up at the river, wash dishes clean teeth etc. That night like the previous, the hard wood sleeping bench we didn’t even notice. For once we lay down it was good night nurse, never felt or heard a thing. In talking to other visitors to the hut that weekend, and there were many, we learnt that going out via the river was much quicker than the track. Oh! Yea! Quicker, flatter, easier? Yeah Right! If only we had listened more closely. Did we hear the description on boulder hopping, the number of times the river had to be crossed, and the number of crossings that actually had to be pack floated. Well? We did hear the word easier. I don’t think too many words crossed our ears after that. We left somewhere around 11 am. We reached the road end around 3:30 pm. Where we congratulated ourselves on a fast time compared to the efforts via the track We arrived back home in Wellington about 8 pm, having made a couple of stops on the way to eat and keep ourselves awake. I slept most of Monday. Tuesday it was a real effort to drag myself from bed and head to work. I think it took the good part of a week before I was moving freely again. Strangely enough I enjoyed myself. The camaraderie, the cursing, swearing, laughing each other’s occasional misfortune. The slips in the river, and the shear and utter exhaustion of it all. On the other hand I got to see another part of this country, to revel in the peacefulness of it. And most of all wonder at the wonderful scenery that was on offer. I suddenly had more interest in everyday small things. It took me another year of planning, slowly gathering more suitable gear and learning more about how one went about doing something similar. From there I was hard at it for just over ten years. Every possible moment I could I went. Lots of Tararuas. Ruahines, Mt Egmont. Occasionally further afield. Milford Track, Nelson Lakes, Heaphy Track being on the agenda. Then life interfered and zilch followed for a long time. Over the last few years I have started back in. A lot more coming later this year and next. I have missed those places, where nothing but the natural noises intrude. Well at least until some bastard in a helicopter flies over. What about you?
15 comments
11–15 of 15

School camp aged 12 (form 1). Overnight bush bash out the back of Castle Hill village somewhere (still not sure where). Me and some classmates had an instructor who took us out in the middle of nowhere and made us walk back to the school lodge. We ended up sleeping as a group under a fly overnight but I suspect that the route would have only been a few hours if we had taken a direct route - lots of strange turns up a ridge, down a creek, cross it and follow a second creek back up etc. Wet cold and horrible, but it didn’t put me off and I did a longer tramp (to a hut) one year later on my own time with a local youth group.
Interesting reading the contributions above. Makes me feel nostalgic for days gone by that will never return. In so many ways we were incredibly fortunate to grow up in an almost empty country with so few constraints on us. I can't pick an exact 'first tramp'. It just sneaked up on me, family camping holidays, Scouting camps, days walks ... I do recall my father and I driving up to Mangetepopo one evening and watching the dull glow of a fresh lava flow on the side of Ngaurohoe. And a day trip to Ketetahi. My first proper tramp was probably a scout trip into Crosby's Clearing in behind Thames over Easter. I took a great interest in the loss of the Swedish couple many years later feeling a strong connection to the place. (Personally I think they got lost in the very confusing ground north of Table Mountain.) Then across to an old NZFS hut somewhere in the Waiwawa River now long gone, and then over into the Kauaeranga River. Main memory was the endless rain and the massive wild blackberry pies we cooked up one afternoon!. Then a May school holiday trip. Two of us cycled on our school bikes from Auckland to National Park and spent the next ten days in the park. Had a wonderful time with the entire place virtually to ourselves. It's hard to imagine how privileged this was today. Hopped on the midnight train back home. The NZR guard took one look at us cold and grubby, stuck us on top of the mail bags and fed us hot tomato soup. (Wasn't the last time the NZR people earned a soft spot in my heart either.) Got back in to Auckland on a cool grey dawn, cycled home through a waking city, had a bath and went to school. Never mentioned the whole adventure to a soul.
i did several bushcraft trips in cadets with FMC instructors. they really knew their stuff and they were hard and serious , no nonsense instructors. you paid attention and listened, they knew their stuff, they drove us a bit. I aspired to be a competent tramper like them. bushcraft almost seemed like a code to follow. the rules of the game. there was an obligation to be competent and not to be a burden on others, to be self sufficient, to think, be rational and be a team member. they werent relaxing trips. they were designed to maximise what we learned while we were out there. and they were cheap trips, being cadets we got wet rations provided by the defence force. cans of "dog food" and "dog biscuits. and dark dark chocolate", cant remember if we paid for the bus trip. It would have been worth paying good money to put kids through a course like that. one of the instructors would walk fast from karori into town and back every day to get to work.
My parents were quite involved with the Wellington YHA back in the 70's so I was out camping and tramping with the family from a very early age. The first trip I can remember was when I was 6, it was an overnight trip to Atiwhakatu hut (the old one, which was reasonably new back then) up the track then back down tramping and floating on tyre tubes in the stream. A huge amount of fun climbing up rocks and jumping into pools and drifting along. It was bloody freezing though and I was very happy to lie in the sun at Donnelly Flat afterwards.
My Koro used to take me up the kawhatau for fishing trips since as long as I can remember. Pitching the tent and spending a weekend. We would walk for what seemed like hours but was probably only a km or two. Climbing hills was just part of life in taihape. My godfather was a forestry hunter for the nzfs during the late 70s early 80s so I grew up in awe of him. All I ever wanted to do was explore the mountains like him Teenage years saw the odd tramp mainly to just get away with mates, it was just a chance to express the freedom of youth. We didn't even know we were tramping lol. My first solo tramp was a real wake up. I remember tramping in the tararua on a blue bird day. I felt good so pushed on until I was buggered. Lo and behold the weather turned, big time. The heavens opened up and I was forced to pitch up in dense bush. My single skin tent flooded and I slept in a soaked pit. Pools of water filled my tent. I sobbed. I woke up the next day hike to the trail head and vowed to never do that again. A week later I was back in the hills. Every trip into red line territory feels like a first tramp. That's why I love it.
11–15 of 15

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by FrankB
On 11 September 2017
Replies 14
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown