Instant Kumara Mash

After seeing some instant sweet potato brands online/o'seas (even the Australians have one ... Edgell), I always wanted to try it instead of Instant Potato flakes. I was shopping at Pak'n'Save Sylvia Park and noticed there was a new item in the form of Instant Kumara Mash! It's in a 50gm pack, which you add 180ml of hot water, which will make just over 230gm of kumara mash. This is a perfect size for someone hungry and is not satisfied with a single portion dehydrated meal. Or use it with a two-portion dehydrated meal and have a smaller portion each. The brand name is Sunny Hill (Nutritious foods Ltd), who makes Kumara Chips, which I haven't seen before. http://hospitalitybusiness.co.nz/2017/02/28/instant-gourmet-style-kumara-mash/ Nutritionally it's a little less energy/protein and more carbs(sugar) than Cinderella potato flakes. I just tried it with some leftover stew and it's got the similar texture of instant potatoes (not so fluffy), but with the orange kumara taste. Overall I was quite pleased with it. http://imgur.com/a/9BI3x I think I paid $1.80 for it, which works out close to 5x the equivalent cost of mash potato by served weight. But this the sort of difference I see when buying potatoes in larger quantities vs Kumara by the kg. It would be good to offer larger packets at a better price point, for people like me who prefer Kumara to potato(in general). But as it stands, it's a perfect size to take with you as a filling accompaniment to an existing meal.
Thumbs up
12 comments
11–12 of 12

I tried this instant potato flake gnocchi recipe out for a tramping trip meal sometime. It was a success. Ingredients 1 cup water 1 egg (lightly beaten) 1 teaspoon butter (softened) 1 pinch garlic powder 2 cups instant potato flakes 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour. I used Edmonds plain GF flour 2 teaspoons fresh parsley leaves (minced) 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt Steps to Make It Place the water, beaten egg, butter, and garlic powder in a food processor and mix at low speed until combined. I mixed it in a bowl as I wanted to see how it would work as a tramping meal. In a large mixing bowl, combine the potato flakes, flour, parsley, and salt. Add the potato flake-flour mixture to the food processor and mix at low speed until a dough forms. I just folded it into the liquid mix with a silicon spatula. Flour your hands and work surface and gently knead the dough, then roll it out flat. Cut the dough into strips and roll the strips into ropes. Cut the ropes into bite-sized pieces and roll each piece on a gnocchi board or along the tines of the fork to create a ridged pattern. Boil in salted water for about 1 to 3 minutes (when they float to the surface, they are ready). Drain with a slotted spoon, rather than a colander, because they are a bit delicate. Toss gently in the sauce of your choice. I took no chances and boiled them for about 5 minutes! They kept intact no problemo. Next time I'll try with the vegan egg white powder. I have a really good Nigella Lawson anchovy/garlic/green olive/lemon juice sauce that these would go nicely with.
I made this with the vegan egg powder. It doesn't bind the dough as well as the egg does but it was no problem and tasted exactly the same. Instead of rolling it out and cutting it into strips, I just pinched off bits of dough and formed it into gnocchi shapes then did the fork pattern on it. It really is a nice change from pasta. The ingredients for 2 weighed about 220g.
11–12 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by pseudo
On 15 August 2017
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown