What's your favorite...?

Aside from the essentials (shoes, pack, etc.), what's your favorite piece of kit?
36 comments
31–36 of 36

plb is the same as a get out of jail free card in monopoly. Never land on go to jail and never pick that card and it is pretty useless but when you pick the wrong space you are out of the game till you play it
Samba natural fire starters. They don't stink out your pack. Do a great job getting the wood burner started.
I was reading a hunting magazine the other day (in a hut, where else?) and Peter Harker, a hunter/author being interviewed, said his most valuable hunting gear he wouldn't be without was matches and a candle stub.
Another from a personal note is an empty pillow case. Stuff it with spare clothes and a comfy sleep is had.
I use the sleeping bag bag for that. As for the matches good thought. Was on a recent tramp where we had 2 stoves and 1 lighter between them. It broke before lighting the stove the first time. There was 2 boxes of matches in the hut all damp and useless. Luckily I had 10 windproof matches in my survival gear. Second stove was lit from the first as was the first candle which was used to light other candles. We didnt have to find out what uncooked vegetarian korma and rice tastes like in one of the coldest huts in the Tararuas but it was close. Still got 6 of those matches.
Between me and Frank we carry 3 lighters on our trips.
1 deleted post from Kreig

This thread branched to "Hacks for lighting fires in adverse conditions" on . Explore the branch (18 messages).

This thread branched to "What's the most useless piece of kit you've carrie" on . Explore the branch (40 messages).

31–36 of 36

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Bones
On 12 August 2017
Replies 35
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown