rather than tents lets talk about poles

Talking poles will pollute a thread that should be on tents so beyond talking about tents that use a hiking stick as a pole we should make a branch. My fault I know I started the drift. I should use a pole as my knees are not great but getting used to the thing has been a nightmare. I have only completed one trip using a pole the whole way. On that trip I fell over in a flooded Orongaonga river and would of had a mid winter swim if it wasnt for the pole. As it was icy water aint great on those important little bits. That should of sold me on the idea but next trip the pole was tied to the pack after 200 meters and the last few trips it has not made it out of the car. (yes the wife does know Im not using it)
25 comments
11–20 of 25

After using them so long I rarely give any attention to where I place the sticks, always focussing on my feet except in tricky places where I need all 4 points of contact to be correct. Always amazes me how a quadruped places their hind feet, I guess I've got to that situation with my poles! lol When sidling across a face i lengthen the downhill pole and shorten the the uphill. On icy/slippery slopes I place the pole into the snow and then step directly uphill of it, right against it - guaranteed not to slip!
I agree, if you only use one pole you may as well not use it at all. I find that not only do two poles help to distribute weight carrying a pack and provide more stability but once you get used to them it is possible to walk faster on reasonably flat ground once you get into a rhythm.
Nah. One stick gives you a bit of extra reach or a third leg where needed. Quadruped travel is a different animal altogether. Just depends how you want to go. https://d1o50x50snmhul.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/gettyimages-455251245-1200x800.jpg Put your cursor on the pic & left-click to enlarge.
I haven't tried using poles, I've always looked at them as being an affection that was just another way to drop a couple of hundred on shiny things (I know, stupid attitude). However my last few trips my knees have gotten quite sore on descents and I am really interested in seeing if poles would help. I'm not keen to drop big bucks unless I know they'll help so I'm looking on TradeMe for cheapies right now, but not clear which ones to get. How do you size a set to fit you?
Another friend (seems I have a few :) scored a pair of Black Diamond FLZ poles for A$5 at her local Op Shop - perfect condition ! Failing a deal anywhere near that good, have a look at Helinox FL135 - A$168, free postage. I commented on their great after-sales service having broken one in March this year - https://tramper.nz/?view=topic&messageid=63098
Mosley59 - poles are all telescopic so one size fits all. Cheap ones may only have 2 sections - which would be too long to tuck in your pack or would stick up and catch on things if tied to the outside. Most have 3 sections which may fit inside a pack. You can get ones with all sorts of fancy (expensive) grips/handles and even shock absorbers in them! Personally I have plain, simple ones which work just fine. I expect (and hope) that your knees will enjoy many more years of tramping whilst using poles. I'm 71 and still enjoy 'tops' travel (and descents!) thanks to my poles.
The big thing with the cheap poles is the tips. If they are manganese steel they will last 1 trip maybe 2 You must get the tungstan carbide tips if you want them to last
cheap poles thinner material. more likely to break
More often thicker cheaper material Almost as strong but 3 times as heavy
I tried the two-pole quadruped thing but my arms got tired. Oh and they were Fairydown ones and both broke. Now I carry a manuka or kanuka stick which is very strong despite how light and thin it is. Mostly for balance in tricky bits/creeks and taking some load off my knees in downhill bits.
11–20 of 25

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by geeves
On 3 August 2017
Replies 24
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown