Tent ideas

Hey all, I am after a replacement for my Mannagum Howqua. It's too heavy (2.4kg) and bulky (52x16 packed). I'm not a massive ultralight fanatic but keen on something which cuts these specs down but is still up for 3 season tramping and the odd frosty night above the bush line. The Howqua also has stuff-all vestibule space. So far, I have found the MSR series to be nice, but they are pricy, and they have less vestibule space than a tunnel design. I have found a brand on TradeMe (NatureHike) which is much cheaper but not sure if they are any good - certainly not as light as MSR. Does anybody have any recommendations for tents in terms of other brands to look at or avoid? I'm also considering getting a bivvy bag for solo trips but again welcome any recommendations for brands or features to look for or avoid.
36 comments
11–20 of 36

and if you break your hiking pole....
Same boat as the guy next door with the broken tent pole. Actually you can cut a branch into a pole but the dome tent owner cant
you're far more likely to break your walking pole than your tent pole because you use it all day walking putting stress on it.
true
Yup same as you geeves I can't stand the trekking poles, I have no use for them. I tried them and: - on the flat they don't have any use, just extra weight to carry on the pack - uphill or downhill they might be useful but I much prefer to cling on to trees and vegetation to help my balance and avoid slipping Plus as Wayno said, you're quite likely to break/bend it (saw it happen a few times to other people), and create a new issue of setting up shelter… And they are heavier than tent poles :)
one pole has its uses, can help on climbs and descents and river crossings. on most nz tracks , two poles are a nuisance, you cant use them properly, tracks arent wide enough and they get caught up and you often want a free hand at times to grab on to things when you're climbing or descending
Tents that incorporate a walking stick, imo, are a bad idea. Anecdotally, over the years, I've broken 3 walking sticks and 0 tent poles. Anyway, I carry 2 pole sleeves (30g) just in case my one ridge pole does break. For me, a single stick worth the weight (190g) - allows me less concentration on the ground (watching my feet) and more on the stunning scenery and, as wayno says, useful for river crossings, up and down hills. BTW, wayno, as well as my WE 1st Arrow, I also have a Tarptent (scarp 1). Lightweight at 1.5kg but good materials - 3.5 season tent but has optional cross-poles (+ 340g) that make it a very reliable 4S.
tarptents are a popular option overseas amongst experienced trampers, I dont recall seeing any here in person. its a cottage industry company, highly regarded for the quality and design of the tents made in america.

This thread branched to "rather than tents lets talk about poles" on . Explore the branch (25 messages).

The Scarp 1 is US$ 350 plus postage so not a cheap option - which might account for the low local penetration. Wait until the US$ plummets ?
Hmmm. I'm after a 2 person tent for when me and the mrs head out together (see my first post - interested in bivvy bag options for solo tramps if anyone can recommend a good brand/style/key features). On the topic of two person tents and the options suggested above, I like the look of the Tarptent Scarp 2 but the Luxe Hammer II looks interesting too. Heavier but the massive vestibule space really appeals. Has anyone tried either? Also, still interested in bivvy/1-person tent info if anyone has strong recommendations.
11–20 of 36

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mosley59
On 31 July 2017
Replies 35
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown