Grey River area - Marlborough

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone here had any knowledge of the Grey River (Marlborough version) and the huts situated around it. In the past I have walked in to the Teme Basin and around the tops above it. Have also gone in to Avon Saddle and from there along the tops as far as Old Pudding (don't do it - the start of the ridge is a mess yet somehow there is a fence melted in to the solid rock right along the top. The folks who put that in sure had their work cut out!). However, I have never dropped in to the Grey itself. I know Teme Basin Hut (lat -41.802346 long 173.626985) belongs to Glenlee Station and the hut at the start of the Avon Saddle track (lat -41.795819 long 173.524159) also originally belonged to them. (Incidentally does anyone know what that hut is called?) I do not know the names of any of the other huts in the area or who they belong to. Since they are shown on topo maps but not named I think it can be assumed the are not DOC huts (and nothing is listed on the DOC website) but belong to stations? Glenlee? Upcot? Specifically the ones I'm interested in are situated in: Cow stream (lat -41.818595 long 173.57437) Grey River (lat -41.855365 long 173.582954) Burnt Country Creek (lat -41.860287 long 173.525962) Enchanted Stream (lat -41.917602 long 173.468455) Castle River (lat -41.926862 long 173.417815) Any knowledge anyone has on the area would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Could ask my father, he use to hunt in that area would not have visited in the last 30 years. There is a lot of private huts in that area, and access is also not the easiest.
Thanks @Militaris any info would be appreciated. I've also got my old man doing some work on this but haven't heard anything back from him. I did do some online digging and from old Linz reports (I think that's what they were) I discovered the following: Cow stream (lat -41.818595 long 173.57437) — Glenlee Station Grey River (lat -41.855365 long 173.582954) — didn't actually look this up but assume Glenlee Burnt Country Creek (lat -41.860287 long 173.525962) — Upcot Station Enchanted Stream (lat -41.917602 long 173.468455) — could not find Castle River (lat -41.926862 long 173.417815) — Muller Station Would be really interested in any info on the Enchanted Stream hut. Thanks.
Hi folks, I have read with interest your posts, as I'd also like to do some tramping in this area in the near future. I've found virtually no information on access or hut ownership and am wondering if you have learned anything else since your original posts. Thanks much
I will need to do some digging to double check but I did figure most of these out. My above post may have one hut incorrectly assigned. I have not made it into the area yet because it seems very hard to co-ordinate between the various land owners and hunting groups. Parts of the area are run as hunting blocks. I originally had permission to enter just before the roar in 2018 but then appeared to get shunted in favour of hunters. Tried again in January of last year but can't remember why that did not work out now. Will try and post some more concrete info tonight,
theres huts further west that are showing on the map. I know those are old forest service huts. i'd doubt they are public huts if the other huts arent showing.
Thanks much for your prompt replies. I'm going up Molesworth way this weekend and will stop at Glenlee Farm/Station to ask if they can provide some insight....
Hi, checked through some old emails and couldn't find anymore specifics for hut ownership as must have discussed this via phone calls. Your best first step is as you suggest, talking to Rob Hamilton at Glenlee Station. Phone number is 03 5757765 if you do not catch up with him in person.

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tracks, routes, and huts
Started by Dodgydave
On 19 July 2017
Replies 7
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown